The Freight Coordinator is primarily responsible for being the liaison between Sales/Customer Service and Shipping Departments. The position will focus on coordinating outbound shipments, managing freight claims, resolving delivery issues and organizing non-standard shipments. This position reports to the Shipping Manager.
Essential duties and responsibilities
- Make arrangements for shipping/dock appointments – schedule all daily pick ups, including those requiring freight quotes, LTL & FTL. Direct follow up and resolution with all scheduled carriers who have missed or are late for their appointments or daily pick ups.
- Be in constant communication with other departments on shipping and receiving status, timelines, transfers or regulations affecting shipments
- Oversee all aspects of non-standard shipments including rate quotes, coordinating pickup and delivery windows, and confirming transit status
- Communicate with vendors for payment disputes and service requirements
- Communicate with internal departments including Shipping, Customer Service, Accounting, Sales, QA, Receiving and Production
- Deal with all requests and disputes related to freight providors – shipment tracking, accessorial, damaged freight, shortages and claim management, non-delivery and contingency planning and quality issues while developing and maintaining good relationships with carriers, customers and Woodland Foods operating departments
- Proactively research and contact freight carriers to seek new opportunities and cost reductions for non-standard services
- Verify adherence of documentation to customs, insurance or regulatory requirements
- Process required international and commercial paperwork for export shipments
- Stay informed of relevant legislation, regulations, standards, recommendations and best practices that could affect freight shipping
- Track metrics, specifically volume incentive discount, primary/secondary carrier execution and carrier performance, and regularly suggest process improvements
- Assist other departments with custome interactions (e.g., Accounts Receivables, QA)
- Perform other job-related duties and responsibilities as may be assigned
- Associate's degree and six months to one year of related experience or equivalent
- Experience dealing with a high volume of data entry
- Strong organization and follow-up skills
- Ability to handle daily issues such as the following up with late or no show carriers and keeping Customer Service apprised of any such issues.
- Good written and verbal communication skills, abilitiy to effectively work with others
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite
- Ability to work in a fast-passed, dynamic environment and adapt to changing demands