This position is responsible for developing and managing the supplier base for Woodland Foods ingredients, primarily but not limited to spices and herbs --negotiating and placing purchase orders that provide competitive pricing and terms, maintain quality specification compliance and provide delivery schedules to meet stock targets on purchased items. Position reports to Purchasing Manager.
Essential duties and responsibilities
- Purchase items from international and domestic suppliers to support demand and target stock levels.
- Review and evaluate suppliers based on price, quality, variety of offerings, service, support, availability, reliability and reputation
- Develop new supply sources and visit supplier facilities to qualify them as new sources
- Arrange and ensure delivery of purchased items to support customer service levels
- Maintain a supply plan that provides adequate stock and fresh product for sale.
- Back-up to other Buyers
- Perform other job-related duties and responsibilities as may be assigned
- 5 years purchasing experience, with over 3 years in spices & herbs
- College degree and/or equivalent experience
- Exceptional International buying and logistics knowldedge and skills
- Proficiency in a second language a plus
- CPM or other purchasing certification a plus
- Current active participation in spice trade organizations
- Strong negotiating, analytical and problem-solving skills
- Ability to source key products globally from existing and new sources
- Ability to analyze previous ordering and inventory histories to establish forecasting trends
- Ability to present information and respond to questions from groups of management
- Proficiency with current software packages such as Microsoft Office
- Experience with Datamyne or similar software preferred
- Strong team player